Sunday, July 04, 2004

Terror, Terrorism, and the Human Condition

This is my 200th post on this blog. Just thought I'd note that. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my day. Guillemette guilted me into working (she's been working on her book all weekend) and so I spent part of my afternoon doing this. About the book: In an attempt to explore the impact of terrorism at its most basic level--that of sowing fear and anxiety--this book investigates our now centuries-long attraction to, and dread of, terror and its progeny, including terrorism, or political terror, and mass murder. It is also a call to thought, and an appeal to reasoned action. Charles Webel argues that while a "war" on terrorism cannot succeed in eliminating terror from our human condition, this does not mean that it cannot, and should not, be confronted by means other than war.

No comments: