Sunday, September 14, 2003

Trouble in Paradise

I finally managed to see this film. Four years ago, I first heard of Ernst Lubitsch from reading Peter Bogdonovich's Who the Devil Made it and was determined to see Trouble in Paradise. It was unavailable on video, but the New York Public Library had a 16mm version. Unfortunately, their screening room was being remodelled, and so the chance passed. In the interim, I saw Ninotchka and The Merry Widow, but I never forgot Trouble in Paradise Not too long ago, Criterion released it on DVD, and this past weekend I finally had the chance to see it. It's exquisite. It's amazing the lightness and sophistication Lubitsch brings to his films, and its great to finally see this early American effort. It's said that Lubitsch created Hollywood, and after seeing this film, I believe it. You can learn more about Lubitsch at this website, which includes a gallery of movie posters. You can read my mini-reviews of Ninotchka here, of The Merry Widow here, and of Trouble in Paradise here.

No comments: