Monday, May 18, 2009

He can dance if he wants to

Photograph by Andrea Mohin/The New York Times
The Sunday Times ran an article about Mikhail Baryshnikov pegged to his current European tour. I saw him years ago with the White Oak dance company. He was in his 50's then, and I was amazed at how strong and quick his movements still were. I hope the current tour comes to New York (and I hope I'm in New York to catch it).

Speaking of dance, I saw Mark Morris' Romeo and Juliet this past weekend, choreographed to Prokofiev's resurrected original score. It was disappointing. In 2007 I saw his Mozart dances, which comprised some of the best dance I have seen. That night I bought tickets for another performance so I could see it again. Morris returns to Lincoln Center in August with a few New York premieres and one of his previous works. I just bought tickets. I can't wait.

No comments: