Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My favorite iPhone games thus far . . .

A little while ago, Simone asked me about my favorite iPhone games. Here are the games that I've most enjoyed thus far (and with which I have been most impressed), in alphabetical order. Each of these games has given me hours of entertainment, and I stil go back to them, though I am at an impasse on a few. I'll only get further if I devote some serious time to learning either how to drift or memorizing choreography.

Baseball Superstars. I got hooked after playing the lite version. Create a batter or pitcher and play through seasons, building them up. Or choose a team and play both batter and pitcher as you race towards the pennant. I tend to enjoy batting more than pitching; I'm still trying to work up towards some of the super batting abilities.

Dance Dance Revolution. I couldn't believe how excited I was after playing the demo version of this game. I couldn't wait to get the release. It doesn't disappoint. The gameplay is fun and addictive and the graphics match up to what I have come to expect from the franchise. Unfortunately, I've reached a point where I really have to study the songs and memorize the moves if I want to get past the levels I'm on. No dis on the game itself, more of a dis on my lack of game.

Fastlane Street Racing. My favorite driving game on the iPhone thus far. I had tried a few others, but this wins, hands down. The physics feels exactly right, and the turning the wheel/iPhone driving interface is fantastic. It's not an easy game, however, as the time limits leave little room for error. And I still haven't quite mastered the drifting techniques I'll need to beat one particular race track with a hair-pin turn, the last track I have to beat to get to the next level.

Real Soccer 2009. My cousin made me buy this because he wanted to try out the head to head play over a wifi network. After playing a game against him I was hooked and spent an entire Sunday trying to play through an entire season. Amazingly detailed, with a good selection of different types of kicks and ball handling tricks, the game is a surprisingly rewarding soccer game. That said, I still couldn't seem to run the plays I wanted to, and ended up using a few simple moves over and over in my attempts to get to the goal.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour. One week before this came out I bought this other highly-recommended golf game that I found really annoying (mainly because of the sounds and the characters). TIger Woods blows that one out of the water. It took me a little while to figure out how to finesse the controls (mainly because I just wanted to whack the ball as far as I could) but now I find myself often relaxing with a nice round of 18 holes while riding the subway, or just before bed. That is until I shank the ball into the water, destroying my otherwise under-par round.

No comments: