Friday, August 08, 2003

Album covers art

I was watching Liz Phair's latest video, Why Can't I, which uses the metaphor of a jukebox to great effect. Phair appears on a number of old album covers and then animates, singing the song. What it has to do with the lyrics I have no idea, but it's a cool use of old rock album covers. You can see the video here. I wish there was an article somewhere that listed all the original source material. As I thought more about album covers I started looking for an online resource of Reid Miles designs for old Blue Note album covers. Chronicle Books has put out a number of collections of the covers, a short excerpt of which can be found here, but I couldn't find an online compendium. Those old Blue Note covers are one of the reasons I got into 50s and 60s jazz and also into graphic design. A few years ago I started collecting the actual albums on vinyl until I realized I would quickly run out of both space and money. A short bio of Reid Miles can be found here, along with some somewhat humorous designer trading cards. The listing of Eric Gill's weaknesses is particularly biting given his proclivities. At home I have a few books of Gill's inscriptions. While I'm not always crazy about the digital translations of his types, he was a fantastic letterer.

No comments: