Thursday, August 07, 2003

Idaho

I grew up in Idaho, spending my formative elementary school years in Idaho Falls. It seems to be a constant source of surprise when I mention it, and in truth I wonder how I might have turned out different had we never moved from there. It also sets up strange coincidences and friendster messages, as when I emailed a friend of a friend commenting on her own years spent in the falls and she returned an effusive email that seemed to suggest we were long lost sandbox buddies. My time in Idaho also precipitated one of the oddest phone calls I have ever received as a friend from those years called me up out of the blue. I didn't remember her. Fortunately my father was online and I kept checking the veracity of her claims with him. Did we know someone who's father now works for NASA? Yes. Was there a family who lived down the street named ------? Yes. Hmm. It's perhaps because of this that I got Idaho's albums. Today will probably be a fairly heavy Idaho rotation. To learn more about the band click here. To learn about the potatoes for which the state is known click here. (nb: "Idaho's unique environment provides nearly perfect growing conditions for potatoes.")

No comments: