Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Daniel Lanois

While I'm on the Canada tip, I've been addicted to Daniel Lanois' For the Beauty of Wynona. It's an album I come back to every few years without fail. Those unfamiliar with the name will undoubtedly know his work. He produced U2's The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, Peter Gabriel's So, and Bob Dylan's Time out of Mind. His music is somewhat ethereal, using space to great effect. One of his best latest producing efforts was for Emmylou Harris who's Wrecking Ball boasts a number of songs penned by Lanois. His new album is somewhat dull, but has some moments. You can learn more about him at his site, which has a rather unfortunate opening intro. Incidentally, Simone tells me that every week I have a new obsession. If that's true "Lotta Love to Give" off of Wynona is this week's very specific one.

No comments: